- Cut one cork lengthwise into 4 pieces for the front legs.
- Cut one cork in half at an angle for the back legs.
- Cut one cork at an angle on the top and the bottom for the body.
- The head is left alone.
- One cork can be sliced into pieces about 1/8" thick and then cut in half for the tail.
- The ears are slices cut at an angle.
- Glue the head to the body with a glue gun.
- Glue the front legs to the body under the head
- Glue the back legs to the sides of the body.
- Glue the tail on the back of the body.
- Finally glue the ears on the head.
- You could also make pointy ears, but my dog has floppy ones.
- These eyes are dressmakers pins, but I think googly eyes and the black eyes look great too.
- I found some rhinestone hearts for the nose and used a sharpie for the mouth etc... a ribbon finishes him off.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- matte finish decoupage medium
- circle cookie cutter
- Add baking soda, cornstarch and water to a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Quickly bring to a boil while whisking everything together.
- Turn off heat and stir until mixture resembles thick whipped potatoes.
- Spoon onto cutting board sprinkled with corn starch. Once mixture cools it should begin to look like store-bought clay.
- Use right away or keep in an airtight ziplock bag for up to a week.
- Flatten the clay into a 1/4 inch pattie. To get paw print from your furry friend, place clay on a plate and gently press their paw into the clay. This clay mixture tends to be softer making it easier to get a paw impression.
- Use the cookie cutter to achieve a perfect circle.
- Remember to create a hole for the ornament to hang from
- Let the clay dry overnight on a cookie rack. Brush decoupage sealer onto the imprinted side. This will seal the clay and prevent it from splitting or cracking.
- You have the option to leave the ornament a is or you have the choice to add paint, sparkles and even there name!
- Add twine through the hole you previously made to hang your new ornament.
Share your homemade DIY dog ornaments by hashtagging #HolliePaws on Instagram or tag us on Facebook! Don’t have time or want a new ornament? Find some of our favourite rustic looking dog themed ones at www.HolliePaws.com use promo code GROOM10 to receive 10% off!
Dog Christmas Ornaments
Christmas is a time of year to celebrate and share special moments with the ones you love the most. Decorating the tree is such a important event in many peoples lives, this dog ornament is perfect for the pet loving family.